Friday, February 20, 2015

Walk to Me and I'll Run to You

Have you ever had those moments where you've heard/read something so many times you're not even going to try to keep count, yet all of the sudden you see/understand something that you've never seen before? Well that was me today. Recently God has been putting on my heart to not just spoon feed people the Bible but to also teach them how to study it for themselves. Basically, I've had a burden to teach people how to do devotions. I've started doing this with a few people and my friend Karen has been reminding me that even when I'm studying something for someone else, God is still trying to speak to me.

This leads to today. At noon I had a study with Alan (the guy I met at Starbucks). Before going to the study I spent some time in prayer asking God to help me know what to study with him. There was a study that I had previously done with a friend over the phone last week and it kept popping into my mind. It was so strong that I decided that I would redo that study but this time for Alan. It really is a powerful study but I thought I got everything out of that study that I was going to learn. I'm happy to say, God proved me wrong.

The story God told me to study with Alan was the story of Jacob wrestling with God and then reuniting with Esau. Alan loves to study the Bible but he seems to be more fond of the New Testament and not so much of a fan of the Old Testament. Because of this I needed to recap Jacob's life so Alan could understand what was going on. I told him of how Rebecca had twins, Esau and Jacob, and of the prophesy that the older would serve the younger despite tradition saying otherwise. Then I explained how Jacob stole the inheritance from his brother and ran away because of it, and now Jacob is returning. (That really is a super short summary that doesn't do the story justice, so if you want to read it's entirety read Genesis 25-33. It's seriously a crazy story. Who needs soap operas?)

To pick up the story Jacob is now returning to see Esau. Every step of the way, Jacob is reminded of the way he betrayed his loved one and now he is on his way home to see him. He first tries to make amends in his own self by sending servants with a message ahead to Esau basically saying that Jacob is willing to be a servant to him. When Jacob's servants return they inform their master that Esau is coming towards them with 400 men. The situation doesn't look promising and Jacob then pours his heart out to God. First he claims the promises that God has given him. Second he acknowledges that he isn't worthy of God's mercies. Next, Jacob is completely honest with God and tells him how afraid he really is. And lastly, Jacob claims God's promises again. After Jacob finishes praying, he then sent a massive gift to Esau. To me it seemed like Jacob is still doing everything he possibly can to seek forgiveness from the one he betrayed.

Jacob Returning to Esau
The night starts to approach and Jacob decided to spend time alone. All of the sudden a Man starts to wrestle with Jacob. They wrestle all night and even when Jacob's hip is wounded by this Stranger, he won't give up. Despite the pain Jacob is experiencing he refuses to let go and says, "I will not let You go unless You bless me!" The Man then changes Jacob's name to Israel. Interestingly enough, names in the Bible represent character, so the Man is actually changing Jacob's character. Instead of being Jacob, the deceiver or supplanter, he is now Israel, because he "struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed."

The next day, as Jacob is on his way home to meet Esau, Jacob receives a welcome that he didn't expect. Although Esau had the power to harm Jacob, he didn't. Instead, Esau "ran to meet him, and embraced him, and feel on his neck and kissed him, and they wept."

Lost Son Returning to His Father
The second we read that verse, something clicked in my mind that I never saw before. I literally felt like I was in a cartoon and a light bulb turned on above my head. (That didn't literally happen of course, but I was making a bunch of humming noises and was fidgeting in my seat.) While Uncle Pops was still reading, I quickly flipped my Bible to Luke 15 and read to the parable of the lost son. The same wording that described Esau meeting Jacob is the same words Jesus uses when describing the lost son returning to his Father. It also clicked that the parable of the lost son is about a son who wanted his Father's inheritance, ran away, and is now returning home, just like Jacob.

I then realized how much we can learn from the story of Jacob returning to Esau is like us returning to God.

  1. First we realize the wrong we've committed and try to fix things on our own. However, we then we realize we can't do it in our own strength.
  2. What we really need to do is to be honest with God. Claim promises, realize our state of helplessness, be honest, express fears and ask for help, and then claim promises again.
  3. Do whatever we can on our part to seek forgiveness.
  4. Spend time alone struggling with God. Even when it's painful, don't give up or let go.
  5. God will change our character. He'll take us from being a sinner to one who can have victory in Him.
  6. Walk towards God (or limp, it's okay to come to Him wounded). 
  7. The moment God sees us coming towards Him, He'll run to us with open arms. 
Even when you decide to walk towards God and He invites you to come back to live with Him, He understands that you may have to go at a slower pace. Jacob asked Esau to go ahead, and he would come slowly at a pace they were able to endure. The important thing is to follow God, and it's okay if you need to go slow. Just keep going in His direction.

Needless to say, I was mind blown. (Who am I kidding, I'm still mind blown by it right now as I'm typing this out.) If you ever feel like you've learned everything from the Bible, read it again and pray for God to show you more...then prepare to have your mind blown.

4 comments:

  1. Very well-written, and using seven bullet-points like you did is a powerful way to get your points across to the reader. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's powerful Janelle! Praise the Lord for your submission to the Holy Spirit and willingness to be used by Him. Thanks for this-- I know it's old but God knew when it would be the best time for me to read this. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord! Thanks Amanda. I'm glad God had you read this at the right time. Love you and miss you :)

      Delete