Friday, February 6, 2015

Daniel^2 and Daniel 2

The sun was starting to go down as I walked down this street. I knocked on the door and a muscular gentleman probably in his forties answered the door. As I started to make small talk with him I handed him a DVD entitled Daniel Chronicles. "Hey that's my name," the gentleman said. "Well I guess that just goes to show that this DVD is for you then," I jokingly commented. I was only half joking because I really do think everyone should watch or own the Daniel Chronicles.

Daniel Chronicles is a two part documentary. The first part goes through an ancient dream found in Daniel chapter two, that has predicted over 2500 years of history and the second part goes through the probability of one man fulfilling over 300 prophecies. It's seriously an awesome movie. However, that wasn't my ultimate goal with this family. After talking for a bit, I got down to the real reason I was there, Bible studies. Daniel responded in a very resistant way, and turned the option for Bible studies down.

So I started to strike up another conversation. It so happens that they had a sign on their door that says, "please remove your shoes." The sign looked very familiar because it had similar qualities to ones I've seen at tourist places in Hawaii, so I commented on it. "Hey I love your 'please remove your shoes sign' it reminds me of home." That perked Daniel up again and we started talking about Hawaii. The conversation consisted of a variety of topics such as how beautiful the islands are and how we both thought poi tasted like cement (maybe it doesn't actually taste like cement but it sure has the consistency of it). After a smile returned to Daniel's face, he decided to buy the DVD from me, but he accidentally left his wallet in his truck.
This is poi (seriously...edible cement)

Right then Daniel's wife, Carly, pulled up in his truck and handed Daniel his wallet. I decided to let Carly know what I was doing, I'm sure it's not everyday that a young girl comes to their door with a bag full of books, so I thought I would catch her up on Daniel's and my conversation. I decided to mention Bible studies again because I didn't know if she was at a different place and maybe was even searching for something for herself. The moment I mentioned studying the Bible, Carly's eyes lit up. From reading her response it was much different then it was for Daniel, however Daniel responded for her. His demeanor changed back to being resistant and defensive. However, I couldn't get passed Carly's response, so I interjected, "I understand and respect that, but I just wanted to give your wife the option." Daniel then looked over at his wife and she said, "what about for Daniel?" You see they also have a 13 year old son named Daniel and he has had a lot of questions about the Bible. Daniel (the father) looked deep in thought and said "you're right, this would be good for Daniel." I responded, "I'd be more then willing to study with your son and answer any questions that he has about the Bible." Daniel then looked up and said, "yeah, that would be great and you know what, I'll do them with my son too."

No comments:

Post a Comment