Monday, February 23, 2015

Ending to the Study (Walk to Me and I'll Run to You)

For those of you who are wondering what happened at the end of the study with Alan, this is what happened...

Alan was just as mind blown as I was (I really wish you could see how animated he is, it's great). Alan had questions about the Man that Jacob was wrestling with and he went to grab a study Bible so he could look up cross references. When he brought it, we started looking at the different verses and a thought popped into my mind, it said, "pull out your History of Redemption and read the chapter "The Night of Wrestling" in Patriarchs and Prophets." So I asked Alan if I could read him the chapter, and after I got his consent I read it out loud.

You could see Alan sitting on the edge of his seat, deep in thought. When I finished the chapter he said, "you know when you told me that you were going to read some book I first thought, I was a little hesitant, but by the third sentence I was hooked. Who wrote that?" I showed him my book and told him it was written by my favorite author, Ellen G. White. He then said, "that name sounds familiar, I had to read some of her writing when I was in college. Even when I read her work back then I just knew she had to be inspired."

I started showing him how my book was really a compilation of her most popular writings and told him how I've been able to use it to help me understand the Bible. As I said the name of each book and explained what it went over, Alan intently listened.

I then said, "the next one is called The Desire of Ages."

"Wait, say that name again." Alan responded.

"The Desire of Ages." I repeated.

Alan said with excitement, "That title has been in my mind, but I had no idea what it was! I need to get that book."

This past Sunday, my house parents and I went to the hospital with Alan for a movie event. The local church was putting on an outreach event while playing the film, Forks Over Knives. Alan wanted to go so we all went with him. The first thing Alan told me when he saw me was, "I went to the library and I found a copy of The Desire of Ages! I'm so excited to read it." It was amazing because I told Alan I would work on getting him a copy, but he couldn't contain his excitement, so he decided to get it himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment