Friday, February 13, 2015

Castle Built On a Hill

Melina and I have a saying, "if you're not going up a hill in Sonora, then you're going down one." Sonora is absolutely beautiful and one of the geographical features that adds to its beauty is the beautiful rolling hills. While driving (or walking) you pretty much are always going up or down a hill. I'm telling you this because this story involves yet another hill.

The beginning of this story actually took place the very first night Melina and I ever went door knocking to seek Bible study interests. Melina's leg was hurting so when we split directions on the street, I took the houses with massive driveways. There were four houses in a row with huge driveways. The last house up the steep driveways was special from the rest. I was greeted by two massive dogs as I made my ascent and was also greeted by Nate, a young high schooler dressed in a suit, who was attempting to call his dogs back. After conversing with Nate for a bit I asked him if his parents were home, so he went to call his mom, Heidi. 

Heidi and I totally hit it off from the start. I really don't recall exactly everything we talked about but I do remember that it led to a spiritual conversation. It just so happened that their family was watching the new Nicholas Cage movie Left Behind, and she told me how her son had questions about the secret rapture. She then said, "I sent him to Christian school all his life, and I feel like he should know this...but then I realized, the word rapture isn't even found in the Bible?" Heidi continued to tell me how she had several other questions about the Bible, for example she said, "I believe that when you die you go straight to heaven, but then I was reading that at the second coming the dead in Christ shall rise? So I'm just a little confused about that." 

Heidi then looked at her watched and realized that she needed to take Nate to his basketball game, but she did want to continue talking with me and said she would like to study with me on Thursdays at noon.

The following Thursday at noon I arrived at her house, but she wasn't home. I would sporadically stop by her place in attempt to catch her home but I always seemed to miss her. The following Thursday I stopped by again but this time I ran into her husband, Scot. He told me "my wife really enjoyed talking to you and she really does want to meet with you." He then gave me her cell phone number to try to reach her. I called Heidi and she was thrilled that I got a hold of her. She apologized because emergencies kept coming up and she hasn't been able to be there but she rescheduled for the following Thursday. So the next Thursday I went and again she wasn't there, but I ran into Scot again. He kept telling me to keep trying so I did. I called her again and she apologized and asked to reschedule for the following Thursday. 

The next Thursday, Heidi called me in morning and apologized again because she wasn't going to be able to make it and then rescheduled again for the next week. During this entire time of hit and miss, God kept putting on my heart to continue to pray for this family and not to give up. 

This lead to this past Thursday, six weeks after I initially met Heidi. I drove up to her house knocked on the door and found met her house cleaner. Heidi wasn't home, yet again. I walked back to my car and began to pray, "Lord, I know that you have me coming back to this family for a reason. I just want to commit this situation to You. Please let Your perfect will be done."

After I finished praying, something impressed me to check my phone, I'm not really sure why, I wasn't expecting a phone call and I wasn't even sure if I was because I was going to call or text anyone. However, when I checked my phone I saw I had a text message from Heidi. She said that she was running 15-20 minutes late, but that she was on her way. Joy filled my heart and nervousness also. I've been trying to meet with Heidi for five weeks and today was finally the day, so I decided I needed to pray some more. I called my dear friend, Janell, whom I love praying with, and asked her to pray with me and for this study.

Soon after Heidi came home and invited me inside. Since it had been several weeks from the last time I actually saw her, we spent the first few minutes just catching up and she was just asking me questions to get to know me. Her husband Scot then walked in and greeted me. He said, "Hey it's you! You are persistent, and I like that." Scot and Heidi continued to talk with me and get to know my background. I'm not entirely sure how the conversation led this way, but God impressed me to share my personal testimony with them, so I did.

As I spoke, I could see the tears welling up in their eyes and at the end Scot said, "You've really touched us with what you shared and I want to help you more in your ministry. Come by my office tomorrow and I'm going to write you a check." Interestingly enough, I never asked them for money. Heidi then said, "You know, normally I would've just canceled meeting with you altogether, but something kept telling me that I needed to meet with you and I'm sorry it's taken this long for it to actually happen. But I can see now why God wanted me to spend time with you. You know it would be great if you could study with my 14 year old daughter." Scot then interjected and said, "it would be great if you could study with our entire family actually." 

God then had me do a Bible study with Heidi about wrestling with God and how we shouldn't give up even when it's difficult. Heidi was mind blown by the study and then said that she really wanted have a deeper relationship with God and it studying the Bible would be great for their entire family. They then told me that they wanted me to come back to study and also to cook for them as well (they found out that I love cooking...haha). 

This is Scot (President of California Gold)
The following morning I received a text message from Scot telling me to come by his office because he had a check waiting for me. The more I ran into Scot the more I started learning how influential this family was. Scot owns California Gold Development Corporation and turns out that his company has built and owns all the nicest subdivisions, shopping centers, business offices, medical centers and even gas stations in Sonora. Things started to make sense why they had the nicest house with the nicest view. Scot did tell me that he would call his house a castle built on a hill.

I walked up the stairs to his office and although he was incredibly busy he came out to greet me and give me a check. I thanked him and he told me that they would invite me over again and was excited to try my cooking, then he went back to work. I walked back down to my car and just prayed thanking God for whatever was in the check. I carefully opened the envelope to find that Scot had given me far more then I would've asked for. 

God pricked my heart and the thought came to my mind, "I know you've been busy working for Me and you haven't had a chance to earn much money to support yourself, and I just want you to know, I'll take care of you."

Little did I know that there would be a blessing on both sides of this story and the best part is this story isn't over and I'm excited to see what else God has in store. 

And my God shall supply all your needs according to 
His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

1 comment:

  1. Janelle, this is a wonderful story about one of your real life adventures. I'm so proud of you for what you are doing and how you are touching people's lives through the work you do. This story actually brought some tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete