Sunday, January 4, 2015

Hawaii's First Winter

It was ten in the morning when Melina and I embarked on the first leg of our journey to begin our Bible Work term. We just finished a week comprised of outreach as well as conferences at GYC in Phoenix and now the day has finally come, the day we would leave to start Bible Working. We hopped in my Volkswagen Jetta and started driving towards Prescott where our school is located. The scenery was rather plain, all you could see was the city, then it turned to a desert filled with cacti. However, as we continued to drive, Melina mentioned "oh hey, there's snow." Being that Melina is from Idaho, snow is a common sight, however I had a completely different reaction. "Dude!!!! There's snow!" That was more of my response.

Here's the thing, I'm from Hawaii and where I come from, let's just say...it definitely doesn't snow. We don't even have seasons. Summer, winter, autumn, and spring were just things I learned about in science class. So seeing snow was definitely a big deal. Melina and I would continue talking as we kept driving but the amazing sight never left my mind. I kept interrupting Melina about every three minutes because I just couldn't get over the sight of seeing snow on the ground. It's amazing how a simple white substance could change the plain scenery of the desert to a beautiful white blanket.

Two hours later we finally arrived at our school's location in Prescott to pick up Melina's car. To our surprise we found her car also covered in snow as well. I learned a lot about snow just today, for example how to get snow off a car and how to make a snow man. I had no idea there was a specific way to make a snow man. I could probably ramble on for a while how I was mind blown about how amazing snow is, however the most thought provoking thing I could say can be summarized in these song lyrics based off Isaiah 1:18.


White as snow, white as snow
Though my sins were as scarlet
Lord, I know, Lord, I know
That I'm clean and forgiven

Through the power of Your blood
Through the wonder of Your love 
Through faith in You I know that I can be
White as snow

Right now the we're at the end of this holiday season. Christmas presents are being put to use and people are making resolutions to do something different and start things off afresh. Even if you got the best Christmas present ever or have the most incredible drive to keep your new years resolutions, I simply want to share with you the best Christmas present you could be given and the best promise to claim this new year to help you start things off afresh.

"It is peace that you need—Heaven’s forgiveness and peace and love in the soul. Money cannot buy it, intellect cannot procure it, wisdom cannot attain to it; you can never hope, by your own efforts, to secure it. But God offers it to you as a gift, “without money and without price.” Isaiah 55:1. It is yours if you will but reach out your hand and grasp it. The Lord says, “Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” Isaiah 1:18. “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you.” Ezekiel 36:26." (A Call To Stand Apart, pg. 29)

This promise is yours. Simply claim it.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I love it! And I'm learning to love snow here in the Northwest. :)

    ReplyDelete